A Beginner's Guide to Bird-Friendly Spaces
Learn how to make your space bird-friendly! The following space-specific guides were developed by the Houston Audubon 2021 Young Professionals Advisory Council with tips, tricks, and recommendations on how to start your bird-friendly space journey. Each guide provides different information, and we encourage you to check out all the guides relevant to your space.
Do you have a dorm room, an apartment without a porch, or a townhouse with no outdoor space? There are still many actions you can take to protect the resident and migratory birds in our region, regardless of whether you have an outdoor space or not.
Paved areas like balconies, porches, and patios are the perfect area to start your potted plant journey and connect vital habitat. Check out the "No Outdoor Space" quick guide above for more information on incorporating bird-friendly actions throughout your life.
Take your front garden or small backyard to the next level with water features, nesting boxes, and safe spots to hide. Check out the "No Outdoor Space" and "Paved Outdoor Space" quick guides above for more information on incorporating bird-friendly actions throughout your life.
The sky is the limit with a large outdoor space, with the ability to add structural diversity through trees, shrubs, and grasses. Check out the other quick guides for more information on incorporating bird-friendly actions throughout your life.
You can include bird-friendly actions into your school's garden, HOA-managed park, or corporate green space. Check out the other quick guides for more information on incorporating bird-friendly actions throughout your life.
Once you have read through the guides most relevant to your space and reviewed the Bird-Friendly Spaces actions, print out this checklist to keep track of the actions you have completed.
- The Bird-Friendly Habitat Guide
- An Informal Guide to Creating Bird-Friendly Habitat by Chris Bick, Houston Audubon 2021 Young Professionals Advisory Council
- My Journey to Bird Friendly Backyard Habitat by Chris Bick, Houston Audubon 2021 Young Professionals Advisory Council
- From Avian Absence to Bountiful Bird Haven: How One Yard Finally Got It Right by Kristy Loye Key, Houston Audubon Member
- How to Start a Native Container Garden by Catherine Lee Clarke, Houston Audubon 2021 Young Professionals Advisory Council
- Introduction to Habitat Gardening by Glenn Olsen, Owner of GO Native Landscaping for Birds and Butterflies
- Creating a Pocket Prairie in an Urban Backyard by Patrick Bolgren, Houston Audubon 2019 Young Professionals Advisory Council
- Spring Native Plant Gardening by Sarah Flournoy, former Houston Audubon Bird-Friendly Communities Program Manager
- Best Plants for a Bird-Friendly Landscape
Tips and tricks:
- Plastic Free Tips by Anna Vallery, Houston Audubon Conservation Specialist
- How to DIY a Dripper for Birds by Vaughn Phillips, Houston Audubon Natives Nursery Volunteer
- How to ID Birds by The Cornell Lab
- Working with Your HOA, School, or Community Group
Having fun in your space:
- How to Organize a "Zoom Call" with Birds - A New, DIY Approach to Bird Cameras by Abel John, Senior at Clements High School
- Bird-Friendly (and Kid-Friendly) Crafts by Alessi Armengol and Amy Roush, Rice University Students
- Getting Great Photos of Your Backyard Birds by Joe Smith, Houston Audubon Advisory Board Member